The deadline for registration and refunds has passed.
Christopher Newport University's College of Arts and Humanities seeks abstracts for the forthcoming conference on the
Global Status of Women and Girls
to be held at Christopher Newport University
Newport News, Virginia
March 22 - 24, 2018
"Women, Social Change and Activism: Then and Now"
This interdisciplinary conference uses the tools of the arts, humanities, social sciences and other fields to address challenges faced by women and girls around the world, both historically and today. We invite scholars from all academic disciplines to submit proposals that explore these topics and shed light on women’s efforts to effect social change.
Through the study of the past and present of both local and global activism, the conference will engage researchers interested in the artistic, economic, educational, ethical, historical, literary, philosophical, political, psychological, religious and social dimensions of women’s lives and resistance.
Topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Social Movements / Protest Movements
- Global Feminism / Anti-Feminism / History of Feminism
- Cultural Representations of Resistance
- Art as Activism
- Women’s Activism in the Arts and Media
- Literary / Film Portrayals and Trends
- Anti-Sexual Assault Activism
- Activist Responses to Rape Culture
- Combating Daily Life Machismo and Gender Inequalities
- Resistance to Femicides and Violence Against Women
- Anti-War Movements
- Anti-Colonialism / Postcolonial Approaches
- Activism Regarding Economic Issues
- Activism Regarding Religious Issues
- Activism Regarding Educational Issues
- Activism Regarding Poverty / Stratification
- Activism Regarding Health Inequalities
- Activism Regarding Body Issues
- LGTBQ Activism
- Social Justice and Social Change
Please contact Lori Underwood, Dean of the College of Arts and Humanities, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the conference.